Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Class take away 8

    Today for class we started out with a video, always a nice start. It was a video of a person from American Idol who was making a video log. At first when Beth saw this earlier in the day, she wanted to turn it off since she thought it would just be some kind of drama. But then she started talking about a much more interesting subject. She started talking about how there's one one of each of us, and that we're not one out of a million, we're one out of one.  I thought the video was super good, it was one of the 4 S's moments: Synchronicity. I really enjoyed the video.

    After the video, we started to talk about the assignments that we did for our book covers. There was a student who planned to make a mask from the book, which will look different on both sides, I thought that was a cool concept. One person wanted to do something game related with it because games meant a lot to her. She continued explaining the questions "Who am I and why am I here", going into details on how she didn't have a very good time in high school, then the emotions started to show. Beth made a pretty good point when this happened, she said to us "That's how you know it's real." and indeed I believe it was. I myself like to play video games, they're fun and it's a nice momentary escape into worlds that people have created. But when I saw her getting emotional while talking about her high school experience, it made me pause to think about it.

    When it was my turn to speak, I talked a bit more about my book and that after I had made so many edits to it, I actually didn't want it to get smudged by taking it to school. I really couldn't believe that I actually cared about the book for it not to get damaged, but the changes I had made to it turned it into something that I could actually like and want to keep in good condition (at least until I make more edits to it). After that, I presented the picture that my partner drew while not looking at the paper of me. Starting with the original drawing, then showing how I like to take things apart in the second picture where all the lines were separated, then showing how I put things back together in my own way in the final picture where I put the lines to make up a portrait of myself. Beth really seemed to like the idea and started thinking up ideas of her own while looking at the picture. She gave me a couple ideas to possibly use for the final book, maybe with putting that picture on the back with movable parts to assemble it in different ways. I kept a few of these concepts in mind, I might use some of them for the final.

    As we drew closer to the end of class, bBeth brought up a point on how it seems like when we grow up and get jobs, companies do not want us to play at all, calling it "slacking off". She then asked us a question: Without playing, how can we be creative on the job? This is a pretty good point, it's hard to think of new things when we're being serious with all work and no play. This led us to our next topic, how it seems as though we can't be kids after we grow up. It really does seem to be this way with all the responsibilities we have to take on when we go out on our own. I hope that I can still be a kid at heart even after I get out there to catch up with my goals.

    It was a pretty good class, I'll definitely miss it over spring break.


No comments:

Post a Comment