Monday, March 9, 2015

I've got this covered!

    For this assignment, we are to work on the outer cover of our Altered book. While doing this, I will be keeping my "self" in mind, exploring possibilities, and keep in consideration how I want others to view my book by it's outer appearance.

    Two weeks before this assignment, we were to make something creative while "Bible dipping" which was the word "reused". For this assignment, I actually reused the cover of my book to create a better cover for it, which kind of overlaps this assignment. I have added a couple extra changes to further expand on the cover and its outward appearance. For the sake of the assignment, I will try to describe some of the ideas I thought of while changing to cover a bit further.

    The front cover looks relatively the same. A picture of it can be found on a previous blog of mine titled: "Bible" dipping.

    I don't think I'm ready to take on the back cover of the book just yet, that will require a lot more planning for how I want to erase one of the many dark sides of the book. So to add onto the cover for this post, I have made a few edits to the spine of the book. I kept the main feel of the front cover, but ran out of space due to the lack of area to actually draw stuff on. Below is a picture of it.



LIKE A BOUSE!!
    I made sure to keep that a constant theme. The section that was cut out on the front earlier was a part that was a bit harder to approach when it comes to the actual spine of the book. I managed to keep the "Like a Bouse" reference, but ran out of room for the "Leaf Anger" section. If I were to cut out that certain section of the title, it could damage the book further than I may want to (incineration is too good for it). Under other circumstances I would not hesitate to completely remove the part of the title that bugs me the most, but for the sake of the Altered book, I decided against doing anything that could destroy it before the end of the semester. I thought about bringing the book into class today to actually have the physical copy to show my progress, but I thought that the ink or colored pencil marks might get smudged in my backpack. It was at that point that I was stuck with a realization, I actually had a single care for the book. It hit me like a ton of bricks, I had actually changed the book enough that I cared about it enough to not have it get smudged, and had a protective sense for it. At first I didn't know what to think, I really don't like the book so to feel any kind of want to keep it safe was just plain strange to me. At the same time, I had changed it into something that I would not mind keeping in a decent condition, which is a major step.

     Below is a picture of the first page after tearing out some of the pages I did not like, and where I thought the book should start.



    This is something that I can pass out to the rest of the class, and possibly the world. Based on my own experience with this book, this is my best recommendation. To anyone who reads this, DON'T!




No comments:

Post a Comment