Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Class take away 2

    Today we presented our egg and coloring book assignments. Overall, it was a very nice class; being able to see what everyone would do with their egg, whether it was symbolic to a part of their life or just out of pure creativity. I honestly liked everyone's ideas, symbolic or expressive. My project is described in my post titled "The Egg and the Eye". It was actually inspired by events that happened to other students in the same classroom on the same day that we got our egg for the assignment.

    Just to go a little bit more in depth on why I created the Bastion of Fortitude; two student's eggs were broken before they left the room. It made me think to myself "These eggs must be more fragile than I'm already giving them credit for." In part, my decision was made to not let anything happen to the egg even for creative purposes. I made sure to protect it in a creative way. The other part of the decision is because I'm sort of a protective person. I don't like to see harm come to anything that I care about; whether it's people, possessions, natural places or creatures, and even ideals. I built the Bastion of Fortitude to protect this fragile, inanimate object from many outside forces, including myself, and I did it in a way that was fun for an assignment.

    It was very interesting hearing what everyone else had to say about how and why they made something creative out of their eggs. Some made very visually intriguing pieces from their eggs; some by crushing the egg shell and using it as their visual medium, others by changing the appearance of the egg itself without changing it's form. Others used their creativity to tell a message; whether it symbolized how their life is currently lived, or an emotion that they may feel or felt that impacts them in a negative or positive way, perhaps both.

    The coloring assignments were very interesting as well. I'm rather surprised that someone actually wanted to know what my colored page was about, a lot sooner than I had expected too. When I finished describing it, I knew that I wanted to say more, but I felt as though I had already talked too much about myself. It's not something I do very often, which made me feel very uncomfortable to continue. It's something I had been working on for the past year and a half and I honestly thought that I could handle speaking more about myself, but I was wrong. I'll keep working on my confidence.

    Overall, the class had a positive effect on me. I truly did enjoy hearing and seeing the pieces that the class created and the reasoning behind them. I was rather disappointed in myself for not saying what I really wanted to say, due to a very uncomfortable feeling I had after I started speaking. It's very refreshing to have seen what everyone else can see and do with a single egg. Everyone did something different and even if they were similar, there were a few details that made each egg unique to each person. The coloring book assignments had the same effect on me. Each person not only had a different textbook, but the pictures represented different parts of worlds in which people wish they could live in.

    I really am enjoying this class. To not only use creativity in the media arts perspective, but to then add real meaning to it makes this class very engaging and keeps it interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment