Monday, January 26, 2015

The Egg and the Eye

Hello again, this will be post made rather late at night.

    About two weeks ago, we were given an egg in class by our instructor. The only thing we were told to do with the egg was "Do something creative with this egg." Even though it's a short description, it could mean a nearly infinite amount of possibilities on what can be done. While thinking of some ideas, I made sure to keep a good but gentle grip on the egg. I did not want it to fall out of my hands but at the same time I did not want to crack or break it in my grip. I was still thinking of some ideas while class was going on, when something happened that gave me a bit of inspiration. Another student accidentally dropped their egg on the floor which broke the shell. I don't mean to point out the student, but the event did help me decide on what I wanted to do.

    One thing I would think about every now and then was to make sure that the egg was still in the same condition as when I received it. I already had a sense of wanting to keep the egg in tact, actually seeing one of the eggs in the class room get broken made me feel as though it may be easier to break the egg than I had originally expected. When I got home later that evening, I wanted a place to put the egg where I didn't have to worry about anything possibly happening to it. Eventually I decided how my Bastion of Fortitude was to be made.

1. I put the egg in a small box with some paper and a pair of gloves on top of a soft cloth.

I did this to keep the egg in an environment where there were no hard edges that could possibly crack the shell.











2. The box containing the egg was properly labeled.

 For reasons.
Primarily so that I would not forget.











3. The properly labeled box was put inside a lockable filing cabinet.

And YES I did lock it, can't be too sure.

The filing cabinet ensured that the box would be protected from being dropped off a surface or from having anything dropped onto the box. Either of those actions could potentially crack the shell of the egg.








4. The properly labeled box inside the lockable and locked filing cabinet was then given a clever distraction to serve as a guard against myself and anyone curious enough to break into my room.

Well it's a bit simple, but it did distract me from thinking about the egg. It did a better job of preventing me from getting in or out from that side of my bed, more of an annoyance than extra precaution.










    So far, the Bastion of Fortitude has held up quite nicely. The only thing that is left is to bring the egg to class while it's in the smaller box, just to make sure that it still stays protected. The Bastion of Fortitude as a whole provided great protection against the forces that would crack the egg shell, but will it hold up once the pieces are divided? The true test lies in both the separated pieces of the Bastion of Fortitude and my will to keep the egg safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment