Tuesday, January 13, 2015

First Blog

Good evening everyone. This is the first time I have ever made a visit to a blogging site with the intention to actually make a blog. While these blogs will primarily be pertaining to the class "Seeing Sideways" at IUPUI, I may continue to blog in the future.

I first heard about the Seeing Sideways class through my school adviser. The title of the course is what stuck out to me the most, "Seeing Sideways". It seems as though we tend to look forward most of the time, which makes some sense because our eyes are in the front of our head. So the words "seeing sideways" make me think of looking at something with a completely different perspective, which is also included in the course description. The course caught my attention and since it is also taught by Beth Lykins, who will be moving to another school next semester, I made the decision to add it to my class schedule.

On the first day of class, I got lost trying to find the room for a few moments. The room was tucked away in the corner of the hallway and if I remember correctly, the room number was not very visible unless I went right up to the door. After sitting in the class room for a while, Beth Lykins walked in and immediately gave us our first assignment: Moving all the chairs into a circle around the room. I thought to myself for a moment "Interesting." a short and simple thought. Half way through the class, we were allowed to have a break, on one condition. We could go anywhere we want for the 15 minute break, but could not leave our chairs. The chairs we were sitting in all had wheels so we didn't have to carry them or anything. It was actually a very fun experience. It was a nice change of perspective; going around the halls, going up and down elevators and even going into a public restroom all while in a desk chair (I did stand up to use the restroom). It truly did feel like I was seeing the world I already know but from a different viewpoint. At the end of class, we were given an egg and told to do something creative with it. No additional instructions were given, only to do "something creative" with it. I am still currently deciding what to do.

I think this class will be very interesting as the semester proceeds. I'm not used to writing a weekly blog but I'll give it my best shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment