Monday, February 23, 2015

"Bible" dipping

    For this assignment, we are to randomly pick a word in a book and use that word to create something. If I remember correctly from class, we were given the word "redone" from a book that someone had. I'm not completely sure if we were supposed to pick a different word from a book of our own, but I thought that the word "redone" would be a good choice. The reason for this is that it had an important part in the Altered assignment, in which I will be redoing the cover of the book into something that I can enjoy. For something to be redone, it could mean to be done again in the same way, or to be done again in a different way. For the Altered assignment, I decided that the cover was one of the most important parts that needed to be changed, or in this case, Redone.

    I'm not going to say what the title of the book is yet, but it may be able to be discerned through my redone version. Here is a picture of it:


    The first thing that might be noticed is that part of the cover is cut out. This was the first thing that had to go. Part of that title was a summary of everything this book is NOT to me. It was something that I thought just needed to be removed from the book completely. Next is the two words at the bottom, "Leaf" and "Anger", with a marked out section below it. This is where the author's name was. Unfortunately, this book ruined my trust for this person; I wouldn't trust him with my life, with a quarter, and most certainly not enough to read another book made by him. I tried to make the two words look similar to what they might actually look like if the words were comprised of the object and emotion, but I'm not that good of an artist, so it's mainly smooth lines compared to jagged lines. I also added the word "Bouse" after the words "Like a". I had been watching an online game streamer with the name MaximusBlack, one thing that he would say a lot is "Like a Bouse", the word Bouse is kind of something he's adopted in place of the word "boss" though the meaning is relatively the same. It was kind of a spontaneous decision made since I had recently watched him and thought of it when I saw part of the title. At the top, where the words National Seller is, I crossed out the word "Best" which was in-between them and inserted some fancy handwriting of a word which is not quite as fancy. Lastly, I took a blue colored pencil and filled in as much blank space as I could. I like the color blue, so I wanted to see it whenever I looked at the book.

    While this redone version of the cover is most certainly not professional nor production level quality, it certainly appeals to me more than the original cover does. Some people might look at the cover and say, "What did you do to the cover of that book?" I'd reply to them, "I made it better." I imagine a response like that would make someone think either one of two things; How bad did the cover look before, or is this guy a fool to think that such a defacement could be better? To me, it doesn't really matter what someone else might think of it, this redone cover is superior in my opinion. My reasoning on that is not for the art style or the words and most certainly not the fact that the picture has fancy print near the top, but it's because when I look at it, it changes my perspective of the pages that lie behind the cover slightly. This redone version changes my immediate perspective of the book away from immediate bad feelings, to making me laugh at it and just think to myself "Yeah, that's much better than it was."

No comments:

Post a Comment