Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Class take away 5

    Today for class, we started talking about the Rules were made... assignment and what some of us did for it, some students presented them to the class on the projector. One of the students is a photographer and took some pictures of an object, then did something to break the rules for it. I don't exactly remember what rules he decided to break, but the image did look interesting. Another student was painting a model, but followed some of the instructions wrong. He turned what would have looked like a neatly polished figure into one that looked to have seen battle; bearing marks, scars, and looking tarnished.

    While both creations were made despite not following certain rules, they both turned out rather well. The same concept kind of works out with the piece that I made; although I did not like a single thing about it while creating it and shortly after, after a few hours I could find some appreciation in it. Beth had shown us a piece that she made one time while breaking the rules earlier in the semester. It looked very nice and I would not have expected any foul play to go about while she created it, based on the way the final product looked. It makes me wonder if anyone will know that the doodling that I did was done while I was in a furious mood? Maybe something will be a dead giveaway.

    At one point, we started talking about the difference in looking and seeing. We did not spend much time covering it, but it's probably the topic that I thought of the most throughout the class. The way I see it (see what I did there?(and there)), looking at something is a matter of direction, whereas seeing something is a matter of perception. Going back to before the semester when I first saw the title of the course, this remembered me that we're not only seeing things rather than looking, but we're seeing sideways. I guess that when I signed up for the class, I thought of looking and seeing as the same thing at the time.

    Overall, another good class. I don't think I said a single word until after class when I talked to Beth about looking and seeing, but I'm alright with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment