Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Class Take Away 3

On February second, we begun the class with some quotes that Beth pulled from each person in the class. There were no names put to the quotes so it was completely anonymous. I saw my quote up there and thought to myself "Yeah, I wrote that." There were some good quotes that Beth picked, they did make me pause to think for a moment. These quotes weren't chosen by the students, they were chosen by the instructor, which intrigued me.

After talking for a bit about the quotes, we continued on to discussing the doodling assignment. I personally have never doodled before, so I found the assignment a rather new but strange concept. We all had a chance to discuss the assignment and weigh in with what we took from the doodling. I mentioned how I've never actually drawn something without having a specific purpose to it, which sounds similar to my decision making process as a whole. It felt as though doodling had more of a meaning to the other students in the class than it did for me; I guess that because it was actually an assignment that perhaps it could have been a reason why I did not get much out of it. I might try doing another experiment with doodling some time in the future to see if I get a different experience.

I may not have mentioned our text book in previous blogs, so here it is. Our textbook for the class is a coloring book of our own choice. It seems strange, but I find the idea interesting. This leads to the next part of the class, which was talking to someone that we never met before, no more complex than getting to know the person. So I partnered up with someone, it turns out we're both very interested in space travel and possibly discovering new life. We had a decent amount in common, then when the time was up, we were to introduce our partner to the rest of the class. We both described each other rather well, and at the end of everyone's explanations, Beth said that she has no reason not to believe anything that we said about our partner. Normally I wouldn't expect someone to hear a story for a lot of people and say that there's no reason not to believe a single thing that anyone says, but her reasoning made sense.

For our next assignment, we are to take the book we will be Altering by the end of the semester, and write out 50 "What if...?" questions for it. 50 questions might be a pretty big number, but I have a few what if questions that I've been conjuring up for this book ever since it disgraced my hands and eyes back in high school. While I had this book, none of the 4 S's of creative thought were present. I can think of an "S" I'd love to give this book, but even that would be too much of a grace for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment