Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Class take away 6

    For this class, we first started with presenting some of our previous assignments in class. The assignment was to create something while using the word "reuse". The way that we got the word was by "Bible dipping".  One person's assignment that stood out to me was how she reused some of her old clothes that she wore when she was 3 years old, to take a photograph of her daughter wearing it, effectively reusing it. When I went up to describe what I did, people seemed to enjoy it a lot more than I expected. I enjoyed the majority of the works that people made for the assignment, they were pretty entertaining despite having the word "reused".

    Later, we were told to get with partners and draw each other without looking at our paper. I started drawing immediately without any problems throughout, not looking down or anything. My partner seemed to have a bit of trouble getting started and accidentally looked down at the paper a few times.  It seemed like a lot of people in our class were doing the same thing, almost as if having some kind of fear towards doing it. After the exercise is over, we started talking about our experiences with it. Some people were like me where we just started getting to work without hesitating or looking down, others had trouble starting or completing these drawings. Our instructor discussed with us the reason why some of us were not able to easily do the exercise. The main reason was fears to different parts of the situation; whether it's a fear of failure, fear of being judged, or fear of offending the other person. I think one of the reasons why I did not have any fear of doing this exercise is that I realized about a year ago that (in a manner of speaking) college is the time for failure. It's better to make mistakes in college, instead of after we have real jobs. For this exercise, I knew there no way that I could make the picture look good, which is something I usually feel as though I need to do, without looking at it. Because I knew this, it was so much easier to just start drawing without any worries. Our next assignment is to do something with the drawings that our partners gave of us, to us. By something, I mean I don't remember and will have to check the assignment guide.

    Overall, a pretty good class. The talk about fear was pretty nice, and it makes me think that our fear assignment will be soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment